Why Optimize "About Me"
Your online presence is like a digital welcome mat. In other words, it's the very first thing many consumers see. And it's absolutely critical that everything about you online tells the story YOU want to tell.
While referrals from friends, family, or industry partners can be great - they're not always a guaranteed deal. 70% of consumers trust a recommendation from a referral. 90% of consumers are still going to take the time to look you up and vet you out. Make sure what they see doesn't deter them to take their business elsewhere.
A great place to start? Think about a short, but impactful, "About" section for your online presence.
When someone is considering working with you, they'll search your name. Typically, your Google My Business page, Website, Facebook Page, and LinkedIn are among the top results and will get the most traffic.
Each one of these pages gives you the opportunity to add a brief "About" or "From the business" section. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of it!
Anatomy of a great "About Me"
Consumers have short attention spans. Keep it concise! 2-3 sentences will suffice.
I like to break it down into three parts. Think hard about your star quality in each category.
1. Your credibility, which could include:
- The total number of years you've been in the business
- Your accolades or awards
- Your background or education in a related field
- And if you're new, perhaps leverage the team or company you've joined
2. What sets you apart from the competition, which could include:
- The quality or caliber of your service
- Your specialties (First time home buyers? Veterans?)
- Special loan programs
- Or, competitive rates (careful there!)
3. Your passion, which could include:
- Anything along the lines of why you're in this business, especially something like:
- "I love seeing my clients achieve the dream of home ownership"
- "I strive to help my clients achieve financial security"
- Or simply, "I'm passionate about seeing my clients succeed."
It's not just about the consumer...
This is also your opportunity to make two things crystal clear that many of our clients like to highlight. Because it's not just consumers looking you up! Potential recruits or Realtor partners could be considering working with you, too!
Add a second paragraph with a sentence or two highlighting:
1. You have marketing strategies to generate your own, exclusive leads - and you're actively looking for new industry partners to share them with...
That should get their attention :)
2. You're looking for motivated individuals who want to join a high performance team!
Specifically, for recruiting purposes, consider what your value to a potential recruit would be. This may include that you offer:
- Marketing / lead generation strategy
- Education / mentorship programs
- Compelling pay structure
- Fun/caring company culture
- Advanced technology and tools